Makes 4 servings (550g each), 2 cups each
- 1 tablespoon (14g) olive oil
- 1 medium (145g) onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium (238g) red bell peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 (3g) garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup (264g) mild or medium salsa
- Two 14.5- ounce (822g) cans reduced sodium chicken broth
- One 14.5- ounce (411g) can plain or seasoned fi re- roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups (280g) diced cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup (130g) fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon (8g) chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Juice of 1⁄2 lime (22g) (optional)
- ½ cup (122g) nonfat plain yogurt or fat- free sour cream
- 1 ounce (28g) baked tortilla chips (about 18), crumbled
- 4 sprigs (8g) fresh cilantro
1. Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion, red pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add the salsa, broth, tomatoes, chicken, corn, and chili powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer the soup partially covered for 15 minutes.
2. Add the salt and pepper to taste and lime juice if desired.
3. Ladle into bowls and garnish each with 1 tablespoon each of yogurt and tortilla chip crumbles, and 1 sprig cilantro.
Nutritional Information per Serving
Calories 320 • CD 0.58 • Carbohydrate 36g • Fat 7g • Protein 31g • Fiber 7gSource: “From The Ultimate Volumetrics Diet by Barbara Rolls. Reprinted with Permission. Copyright 2012. Published by William Morrow Cookbooks, An Imprint of HarperCollins Publishers”