Halloween by the Numbers

Happy Halloween pumpkin

Halloween is almost here! Grab a handful of candy and take a few minutes to read up about the numbers behind everyone’s favorite spooky holiday.

Nearly 51,000 acres of land in America are dedicated to growing pumpkins, each of which contains an average of 500 seeds. That’s about 1.5 billion pounds of pumpkin – more than twice what the Empire State building weighs. In 2010, one massive pumpkin weighed 1,810 pounds alone (that’s about the size of a small car).

Trick-or-treating is the traditional Halloween activity, and around 42.1 million kids will head out to beg candy from their neighbors; most of them will be between the ages of 5 and 14.

Throughout the year, the average American eats about 24 pounds of candy, much of it at Halloween.  Around $2.2 billion will be spent on candy this season; 35 million pounds of that candy will be candy corn alone! That comes out to roughly 9 billion pieces, which is enough to circle the moon 21 times. Apparently there’s an art to eating candy corn, too: 42.7 percent of members in the National Confectioners Association report that they eat the white part first.

50% of households say they typically give out 2 pieces of candy to each trick-or-treater, which is good because 90% of parents admit that they sneak candy from their children’s bags – and the other 10% are probably lying.

66.7% of Americans say they plan to celebrate the holiday – what are the most popular ways to do it? 46% of adults will carve a pumpkin, while 33% will throw or attend a Halloween party. 72% will spend at least part of the evening handing out candy, 50% will decorate their yard for the occasion, and 120 million Americans of all ages will dress up in costume – while a whopping 23 million will also dress their pet in costume! Last year, the 3 most popular themes for costumes were witches, Batman characters, and animals; the 3 most popular pet costumes were pumpkins, devils, and hot dogs.

Whether you’re in costume or just handing out candy to those who are, have a happy Halloween!


This entry was posted in Archives